Monday, March 31, 2008

Running the Gamut of the Amsterdam Experience

In case you're scoring at home, the other museums and culturally-rich sights I visited included the Dutch Resistance (to WWII) Museum, the Van Gogh Museum, Amersterdam's Historical Museum and Anne Frank's House. All of the museums were impressive, so I'll just add a note about each:

- The Dutch Resistance was great because it gave a balanced account of Holland's actions - both good and bad - during wartime.

- The Van Gogh museum was great but it was smaller than I imagined and lacked "Starry Night" and "Cafe Terrace at Night".

- The Am. Historical Museum was perfect. If anything, it might have been too detailed.

- Anne Frank was moving and we were allowed to walk up to the attic, but I was disappointed to find the rooms barren. I think I would have better-appreciated the experience if we could have at least seen replica furniture in place to simulate their living situation.



After paying homage to Anne Frank, I decide to pay homage to the Red Light District. The District is larger than I imagined; it extends for a good number of blocks and also seems to extend into Chinatown. I figured no true District experience would be complete without....take-out Chinese food, so I ordered a plate from the buffet at a local restaurant and made my way through the red-lit streets. There isn't that much variation there - the streets are lined with sex shops, sex shows and rooms with bikini-laden women standing at the windows. I had heard that the most attractive women are out at night, so I made sure to pay (I used this term very liberally) a visit after sunfall. Some of the girls were quite frankly disgusting, but by and large most of them were quite attractive. I was pleasantly surprised. The only word that comes to mind for the whole experience is "surreal". The girls just tap at the window to get your attention or smile, wink and motion you to come join them (life should be that easy). And the whole time, I was trying to "play it cool" and act like this is totally normal. It didn't even feel that dirty to me, it was just that it was so far from reality, that I found myself taken aback. Then you walk back through a narrow tunnel, and you can immediately tell things are different again. You're back to normalcy, and you go about your way.

No comments: