Monday, March 31, 2008

Looking Back...and Looking Forward

My week with Kelby was great. We had a wonderful time together and got along really well the entire time we were together. It's times like these that really make me laugh. Life is so funny this way. I met her in Madrid while she was getting ready to go to the Prado Museum. As it turned out, she had been planning on heading out earlier in the day, but she was out late the night before and slept in a few extra hours than she had originally intended. Yes, we would have met had she already left the room by the time I made my way in, but the odds of the replication of the events that were to follow are slim-to-none. I wouldn't have spent my entire time in Madrid with her and I certainly would not have boarded a flight for Paris three days earlier. Instead, you would be reading about my experiences jumping from a plane in the Swiss Alps. (If you would have found that more exciting, I apologize.)

I am tickled when I think of the huge role luck plays in our lives. Minor decisions that we think are meaningless can sometimes make the biggest of differences. Even beyond that, we never know what could have been. If I had gone to Switzerland, I never would have even fathomed Paris or Kelby, or any of the past week. I'm not one that believes in fate or "meant to be"'s; I am a believer in our lives being largely determined by factors that are seemingly out of our control.

As it turns out, Kelby and I are going to be visiting Prague at the same time. I am taking a flight from Amsterdam on Saturday, the 29, while Kelby arrives three days later. In case you're wondering, yes, we will be seeing each other there. As for what lies beyond that, your guess is as good as mine.

I guess I just got lucky this time around.

1 comment:

Headline Honcho said...

Hi Pooks, I just realized it's about 3 or 4 days since you arrived in Prague, so I guess Kelby should have arrived, too. Hi, Kelby. Hope your co-adventure continues along pleasant lines. I am retiring early tonight, as Sherry is picking me up early manana to drive me to the aeropuerto (that's for the benefit of Justin). I had great meetings with brokers & builders this afternoon, hope I'll have good news to pass along soon. Good luck to Kelby in choosing entrees (we women are rooting for you, girl! besides, Ari, you're the judge AND a contestant, just the way you're the self-appointed Author and Editor of the blog. I smell a fix!) Doozers