Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"Prague: Pride", "Pop Muzik", "Peace on Earth" and Prague's People

My poker pain quickly subsided when I found another delicious sausage stand.

The subsided pain became euphoria when I stumbled upon an Irish pub with U2 blaring all the way to the street. I walked down the stairs of the bar-restaurant to find everyone facing the same way. When I got to the bottom, I saw an amazing sight. I saw Bono, The Edge, Larry Mullen and Adam Clayton ....kinda. The band U2 Revival was playing a concert and they rocking out to "New Year's Day". I ordered a pint and sat down. They had already been playing for about 45 minutes, so I was nervous that I was catching the tailend of the show. Nope. They played for another hour-plus and put on quite a great concert. It seemed as though everyone in the bar was Irish and knew all of the songs. When I arrived in Europe, I had planned on going to a number of concerts, but the depletion of the Ari Fund has prevented such entertainment. My intention was to see the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Radiohead, The Cure and Rage Against the Machine, but U2 Revival put on a show that made me more than happy.



Overall, I thought Prague was beautiful. Old Town Square is one of the most beautiful areas I have ever seen. I was enamored with the city when I arrived, but I found myself enjoying my time there less and less. By the time I made my way towards Budapest, I had mixed emotions about Prague. As gorgeous as the architecture is, the locals are borderline hostile towards tourists, especially Americans. The city's inhabitants were the least tolerant of social ignorance of any European city I have visited. My annoyance came to a head on my train ride to Hungary.

No comments: