Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Prague: Paris Girl



Paris Girl and her friend Parker, with whom she had been traveling, arrived in Prague on my fourth day in the city. We had a drink in Old Town Square and enjoyed another Astronomical Clock Show before meeting up with friends of theirs from Leeds for dinner and drinks at a local pub. From there, we paid another visit to Karlovy Lazne.



The next day turned out to be a repeat from my day before, only I played tour guide for them. The highlight (besides somehow getting lost in a residential area while searching for the GINORMOUS Prague Castle) was climbing up to the top of cathedral of the castle grounds. The jaunt was up a narrow, 287-step spiral staircase that had people going both up and down. After about 4 minutes of treachery, I was convinced the spiral never ended, but I eventually made it up to the top...albeit panting and sweating. As annoying as the walk was, the panoramic views made the hike well worth it. We had a 360-degree view of Old Town, New Town and the neighboring Prague areas. We made sure to take plenty of pictures and spend more than enough time up there in an effort to avoiding the inevitable hike down.



The next day we took an hour-long train to Kutna Hora to pay a visit to the town's church. You might be asking yourself at this point, "Why would Ari Bernstein board a train towards a tiny town in the middle of Nowheresville to see a church?" That's reasonable. What if I told you this church's interior consisted of nothing but human bones? Is that something you'd be interested in? There are more than 40,000 bones in the building and you can find every single bone in the human body (126, if I'm not mistaken) if you look hard enough.



After enjoying 3 days with Kelby and Parker, they made there way to Vienna, while I stayed in Prague for another two days. To be honest, I stayed for one reason. As it turned out, it was the same reason I have been able to backpack through Europe.

No comments: