Wednesday, May 28, 2008

It's Nice Knowing People In High Places...

When I was in Barcelona, I met a girl named Taylor who is a USD student currently studying in Rome. As soon as she heard I was going to Rome, she offered to show me around town. As soon as I heard her offer, I accepted.



We met at Piazza Venezia and took off from there to see the Spanish Steps and Trevi Fountain. The Spanish Steps were fun, but I will let Let's Go describe them, as I found the following sentence one of the coolest from my entire guidebook:

Designed by an Italian, funded by the French, named for the Spainards, occupied by the British, and now under the sway of the American Ambassador-at-large Ronald McDonald, the Scalinata di Spagna exude internationalism.

On our way to Trevi Fountain, Taylor took me for gelato. This is where it came in handy knowing a someone familiar with the city. If I had searched for gelato, I would have probably stopped at the first cheap, decent-lookiing place I saw. Nope. Not with Taylor. She knew she was taking me to Della Palma. Somehow this place had evaded my guidebook. Shame on you, Let's Go. You'd think that a gelateria that serves ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY (yes, ONE HUNDRED AND FORTY) flavors would find its way onto a list of must-see places in Rome.

I want you to appreciate this place, so I have decided to post a picture of all of their flavors. (yes, ONE HUNRDRED AND FORTY)









They had a case dedicated to soy flavors. They had a case dedicated to mousse flavors. They had 2 cases dedicated to fruit flavors. They had a case dedicated chocolate flavors. They had ONE HUNRDRED AND FORTY flavors!

I knew it was going to take a while for me to deliberate as to what to order, so I apologized to my friend ahead of time, even before my mulling my options.

After careful thought, I decided to go with the following:

Chili Pepper Chocolate
Mango
Bailey's Irish Cream



25 minutes later, I went with the following:

Banana Split
Cappuccino Chip
Cocunut


We had intended to have gelato while sitting at Trevi Fountain, but um, the gelato didn't make it to Trevi Fountain.

Trevi Fountain is a really pretty, really cool place where a lot of money is wasted. The story goes that if you throw a coin into the fountain, you ensure a speedy return to Rome. Two coins yields your finding love in Rome. Money is tight for me these days, so I settled for a speedy return.



From there, we took to the streets of Rome. This was the first time I found myself apart from the touristy, heavily trafficked areas of the city, and it turned out I loved the neighborhoods just as much as I did the popular sites. The one thing that stood out to me was that Rome is a very green city. There are tall, lush trees all over the place, which is a nice change from virtually all other capital cities I have visited. The local streets have a warm vibe about them, and you can find friendly butchers doling out fresh off the bone meats and soft, rich cheeses to locals wherever you turn. In many ways, I found the local Roman streets very reminscent of an Autumn day in New York. Overall, Rome was arguably my favorite city in all of Europe (and yes, I often argue with myself).

After walking around the city, Taylor and I went to dinner at place I again would never have found without her. Located, next to her apartment, Mapi is a quaint, small, family-owned restaurant. When Taylor was welcomed with open arms as we walked through the door, I knew it was going to be a fantabulous meal. After ordering two pasta dishes, we chowed down on the best bread I have ever been served in a restaurant. It was soft, flaky and doughy foccaccia. They brought a lot to the table, but it didn't matter how much they brought - none would remain by the time the pastas arrived.

We decided to split two dishes: penne vodka and homemade pasta with tomatoes, tomato sauce, mozzarella and basil. I'll let you ponder a guess how they tasted.




...Just another day in Paradise.

1 comment:

Headline Honcho said...

You should have brought your Roget's, I think you need to distinguish between your "Paradises." Those of us living in "just another day in Paradise, San Diego," have no way of knowing precisely what you mean. Love, The Doozers